"Guthrie Tower Reflections"
"Guthrie Tower Reflections" ©Misha Ambrosia
- Watercolor on Arches 300pd Cold Press Paper
- Artwork size: 13 ¼”L x6 ½”H
- Frame size: 18 ½”L x11 ½” H
- Date of completion: March 6, 2014
- I love painting Bowling Green, Kentucky landscapes, I love painting chrome and I love to have new art ideas to explore soooo…last year our local university Western Kentucky (WKU…Go Hilltoppers!) changed their football uniforms and added chrome helmets to their repertoire. I borrowed a helmet and went around town shooting pictures of local landmarks reflected on the helmet. Watercolor is the best of the best medium for reflections, so I just rolled with it.
reflection in this helmet is Guthrie Tower located in Guthrie Plaza at Western
Kentucky (WKU) campus in Bowling Green, KY. The ideology
behind the clock tower and plaza is for students, faculty, alumni and friends
of Western Kentucky University to celebrate the freedom we share as American
citizens. The tower and plaza serve as a tribute to the men and women who
sacrificed their lives to make that possible.
- On the Granite benches surrounding the tower include quotations from several historical figures. The helmet depicted in this artwork sits on the word FREEDOM
- Framed beautifully in a wooden frame on a floating mat